Saturday, October 15, 2011

Miss Lavender Goes to Hawaii

Dreaming of...not palm trees.
Confession: I've never been to Hawaii, nor do I particularly want to go. Honestly, I'm not much of an outdoors person, and from what I hear vacationing in Hawaii involves a lot of hiking around dormant volcanoes, jumping into waterfalls, and lying around on the beach. I prefer my vacations to involve museums, historical architecture, and eating food in nice restaurants. And I really don't like the color lavender either. It's always seemed a little washed out, like it couldn't make up its mind about being a strong jewel tone, like aubergine. I have almost every color in my wardrobe somewhere, except lavender.

Back view.
But! I have to say, I am in love with this lavender dress with a tropical-ish floral print! Not really sure how that happened, except that I think it might have something to do with feeling like I overcame an obstacle. After all my issues trying to draft a strapless bodice, this dress finally works! And even though there are still lumpy bits and some make-do stitches on the bodice, and the boning in the lining doesn't quite match up with the seams on the fashion fabric, I am really pleased with myself. I love the look of the sweetheart neckline, it stays up on its own, I don't feel scared when wearing it, and my husband thinks it's sexy. And I learned a lot.

It has useless pockets!
When I make my next strapless dress, I will definitely underline the fashion fabric on the bodice. Or use some fusible interfacing? Either way, this bedsheet could have use some more help. Also, I will use a more tightly woven fabric for the lining, since I ended up just using a pre-washed muslin. The skirt portion doesn't need the pleating detail; gathered (or circle?) is fine. No pockets, since I honestly don't think I'd be putting anything in them. Although I think I did a pretty good job with the boning, fitting, and waist stay, I just know I would still be wary of anything helping gravity out.

Close-up of the bodice. Not too shabby, considering the issues I had.

A look at the halter strap. I also sewed in ribbons for hanging it up with.

To make the halter part, I just sewed an extra-wide bias tape into a tube, then put buttonholes in both ends. I put a button on the inside of the dress, so technically I can even wear it strapless if I want to. Maybe with a cardigan, since I don't think I'm that courageous.

The ribbons for hanging actually work!

Summary:
Fabric used: thrifted poly-cotton bedsheet ($1.50), cotton muslin (stash)
Notions: button (stash), ribbon (stash), swimsuit hook for the waist stay ($0.75), zipper ($2), and extra wide bias tape ($3), boning ($3)
Hours: Ummmm, probably 12? But a lot of that is due to my lack-of-foresight-fit-issues and slowness of hand-stitching.
Techniques used: Handpicked, lapped zipper, waist stay, boning, pleating
My lovely pleats.

Will you do this again? Yes, with hopefully a lot fewer issues and less time involved!
Total cost: More than my usual dresses -- over $10!
Final thoughts: I am so glad that this dress worked out! I actually had a hard time falling asleep worrying about this dress a couple nights last week. But it just goes to show, it is actually possible to draft a working strapless dress from another bodice pattern. Also, boning is amazing. I am no longer scared of it.

I'm so glad I finished this dress while it's still warm out. October has see-sawed between being cold, gray, and misty and being ninety-plus degrees. Also, I'm hoping I'll get to wear this when I go to Arizona next weekend. I mean, come on, it's a desert!

1 comment:

  1. Gah, you are totally amazing! How have you turned what seemed to be a disaster into a totally wearable, totally cute halter dress?! I suspect illicit magic of some sort.
    I do highly recommend Hawaii, though, even to a museum-architecture-restaurant lover (which I am too!) - I've been twice now and my beach-laying was practically nonexistant, but we did snorkel a lot (it's like an aquarium, only bigger and wetter) and eat some great seafood in many nice restaurants, and I managed not to ride a waterfall into a volcano, thank goodness. However, the secret thing about Hawaii is that no one actually wears nice dresses at all... just things that are easy to put on over swimsuits.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me your thoughts! I appreciate reading them and I try to reply to most, if not all, comments, especially when they are questions. I ask that you keep your comments polite, and if you're a spammer, don't bother because your comment will just be deleted! Also, if you're commenting on a post that's more than two weeks old, it will be moderated.